It is a chronic skin disease that is characterized by dry skin, red and scaly patches. It is considered to be an autoimmune disease meaning that the immune system of the body works against its own body tissues. It is a non infectious disease but may have a negative impact on certain organs in the body.
It is commonly considered as an autoimmune disease. Factors including heredity, lifestyle changes, environmental factors, exposure to certain medications, stress or a combination of these may cause psoriasis.
Different types of psoriasis can be correlated to certain types of kushta mentioned in AYURVEDIC classics.As these conditions vary in their dosha involvement,treatment also varies accordingly.Hence the treatment protocol differs from patient to patient.Sidhma,dadru,ekakushta,kitibham,charmadala,vipadika etc are certain skin diseases mentioned in ayurveda showing the features of different stages/ types of psoriasis.
Symptoms associated with the disease are:
- Thickened, raised and scaly skin
- Reddish patches
- Dry cracked skin that may bleed
- Inflammation of the joints and is painful
- Pitting, Whitening, Discolouration of nails etc.
There are different types of psoriasis which are as follows:
- Plaque Psoriasis- characterized by reddish, raised skin with silver scales
- Psoriatic Arthritis- characterized by inflammation of joints
- Guttate Psoriasis- characterized by small red spots on the skin
- Pustular Psoriasis- characterized by white pustules
- Inverse Psoriasis- characterized by smooth red lesions on skin
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis- characterized by widespread redness and itching
Ayurveda is considered to be the best option by far as it is natural and has no side effects. From an Ayurvedic perspective, it is caused due to the vitiation of Vata, Kapha,raktha and accumulation of toxins in the blood. Panchakarma is a preferred method of treatment that helps in eliminating toxins and purifying the blood. It consists of
Apart from these we may suggest
- Powder Massage or Udwartana
- Application of Ointments or Lepanam
- Intake of Medicated Ghee or Snehapanam
- Oil Massage or Abhyangam
- Medicated Steam Bath or Avisnanam
- Retaining oil on head or Sirovasti
- Dripping of medicated buttermilk or Dhara
Ayurvedic treatment requires time which brings about perfect results. As such we need to be patient and have faith in the medications.