Do you want to get a beautiful, glowing skin? Skin looks dull and lifeless because it is dry. Dry Skin is mainly due to lack of moisture. Dry Skin is also associated with other problems such as
- Prolonged skin dryness cause wrinkles giving you an aged appearance.
- Dry and cracked skin leads to skin infections by attracting microbes.
- Excess drying may cause eczema.
Ayurveda considers dry skin to an external manifestation of Vata dosha. When Vata increases it reduces Kapha and as such the skin loses its moisture. Vata dosha imbalance is caused by
- Exposure to extreme hot/cold climate
- Controlling natural urges like urination, defecation, hunger etc
- Irregular eating and sleeping habits
- Physical/Mental Stress
- Consumption of spicy, dry foods
In Ayurveda, there is a holistic management of the condition through diet, lifestyle and medicine. Some other tips to manage dry skin include
- Avoid bathing several times in hot water
- Avoid deep fried, spicy, dry foods
- Drink plenty of water approximately 7-9 glasses a day
- Massage body with herbal oils or creams