Our skin is the first line of defence against germs and other external factors that have the potential to harm our body, and hence warrant utmost care. When weather, environmental conditions and a host of other factors tend to cause dryness and dullness of skin, we try to hide them under long sleeves duppattas.
That shouldn’t be the case anymore. Dry, scaly and flaky skin can be treated and cured successfully with the help of Ayurveda. Dryness sucks out the life of skin, transforming a beautiful and glowing skin into dry dull skin. This can be remedied with the help of some preventive and treatment measures from Ayurveda.
Issues Associated With Dry Skin
Dry skin, not only affects the aesthetics and appearance, they lead to other issues as well. Some of them are as follows:
- Prolonged cases of dryness when left untreated causes wrinkles which gives an aged appearance.
- Cracked skin due to dryness is known to attract microbes, leading to skin conditions and dryness.
- Severe dryness of skin can lead to conditions like eczema.
Causes Of Dry Skin
According to Ayurveda, dry skin is known to be caused as a result of imbalance of vata dosha. The external manifestation of this dosha causes the dryness in skin. The actions of vata dosha reduce kapha, which leads to a loss in moisture from skin surface. The imbalance of vata dosha can be attributed to the following:
- Exposure to extreme climates like hot and coldness
- Persistent controlling of some natural urges such as hunger, urination or defecation
- Increased stress of body or mind
- Increased consumption of dry or spicy foods
- Irregular sleeping and dietary habits
Treatment For Dry Skin
Ayurveda promotes a holistic approach in diet, medicine and lifestyle for management of dry skin. These include avoiding dry, fried or very spicy food in diet, regular hydration of body by increased consumption of water, avoiding hot water baths and massage therapies with medicated oil and creams.
Dr. R S Roy is the Chief Consultant at Amrita Ayurveda Medical Centre, an ayurvedic skin hospital in Kochi, He provides ayurvedic treatments for a horde of skin diseases.
Visit Us: http://www.drrsroy.com
Mail Us: email@example.com