Dandruff is the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp which is not infectious. A normal flaking of dead cells is normal in all of us, whereas some people will have unusual flaking by some triggers which are accompanied by Erythema and irritation.
Daranakam is the Ayurvedic name for dandruff. This disease is prevalent in the body with doshas of vata, pitta, and Kapha. Though it is considered as a skin problem, dandruff pathology is closely involved with Agni, doshas and dhatus disturbances.
This is an embarrassing condition and the person who is affected by dandruff will have a stigma to wearing a dark colored dress since the flakes fall on the dress and persistent itching will be there. The person cannot walk around anywhere freely.
- Either using shampoos often or not using at all
- Excessive exposure to chill climate / heavy sunlight
- Imbalanced diet
- Keeping the head and body unhygienic
- Severe stress
- Oil and dry skin
- Side effects of some medicines
- Night awakening
- Suppressing natural urges
- Dust Exposure
Applying warm coconut oil / olive oil / tea tree oil and massaging, Massage with some amount of lemon juice on the scalp. The acidity of lemon keeps the balance of pH in the scalp which in turn keeps dandruff off. Using aloe vera gel will effectively work on itching
- Skin dryness is due to Vata Dosha and oil skin is by Kapha Dosha. Hence dandruff treatment in Ayurveda involves with treating and balancing vata and Kapha.
- Shamana is a palliative therapy that suppresses the doshas within the body
- Shodana is a purifying therapy where the doshas are expelled out from the body
- Rasayana otherwise Keshya rasayanas promotes the scalp health overall and effective against dandruff
- Shirodhara, Shirobasti not only alleviates dandruff but also improves the quality of hair and relieves the mental stress.
Amrita Ayurveda Medical Centre, Kerala is a descendant from a traditional Ayurvedic family well treats all kinds of skin problems and allergies. It is the best place to take Ayurvedic dandruff treatment with nil side effects.